Author Topic: How long can my Oscar go without eating?  (Read 2534 times)

chellebelle

How long can my Oscar go without eating?
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:28:19 AM »
I have a two year old oscar who has not eaten for three weeks.  He is unable to get to food because his stomach/bladder has bloated so much that it keeps him floating at the top of the tank on his side.   I have tried epsom salts (in a hospital tank), tested the water (high nitrate, water changes every two days for two weeks - no change) have tried to feed him peas but he can't get to them, and even when I dangle one at the end of a line he shows no interest.  He tries really hard to fight his way down into the tank but just isn't able.  I've called vets, aquariums etc. but noone seems to know what to do.  I don't want to keep him alive if he's starving or in pain. 

Could someone please advise as to how long is too long to let him go without food.  I love him so much. 

Thanks guys.

chellebelle

Re: How long can my Oscar go without eating?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »
Oops, just got told it was high amonia, not nitrate.  All the other readings are normal.  However, he has been in his hospital tank for two weeks with no change, rather he is getting worse.

Just used Epsom salts at the reccomended amounts for three weeks.

Prior to getting sick he lost interest in food a little - still eating, but not as much as usual.  He would be swimming along normally and then just take off around the tank at a million miles per hour. it was really odd.

Normal poohs.

Feeding him capsules and also frozen food capsules for oscars bought from the aquarium.

Tank maintenance - water change not as often as should (feel soooo bad now) every 3-4 weeks.

Thank you for the questions - I'm beside myself!

chellebelle

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:39:09 AM »
Thankyou for your quick replies!

The hospital tank is 20gal (his usual home is a 55gal - by himself), with new conditioned water, epsom salt concentration of 1tbsp per 5gal along with a dose of a general bacterial medication (the name escapes me atm).

He has been in there for more like 10 days and as i said befor there has been no improvement, the bloating is getting worse and he still hasn't eaten.  I'm really worried about the fact he hasn't eaten for so long and he doesn't look like he is remotely interested in food. 

I'll check the ammonia level in the hospital tank and do a change if required.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline Adam

• The Mad Chef
  • World Cichlid God
  • Fishy Rating 155
  • Youngtown, AZ
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »
It may be time to start treating for internal parasites, and or bloat.  If its been three weeks since this all started it may be too advanced to actually cure and bloat can be quite tricky to treat unless you get to it within the first few days of noticing the slightest symptoms.  Check with your LFS to see what meds they stock that will treat for internal parasites and bloat.  I know metrodinazole(sp?) is a good one for parasites.

Offline Maddy mad man

• Dovii
  • Fishy Rating 1
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:49:07 PM »
As a last resort you could decompress the swollen abdo - essentially 'pop him'.

I have done this successfully three or four times and if this is bloat (which i think unlikely as he has lasted so long) then it might be effective.  If he is constipated it will be very effective.

If you need to do this then there is a thread entitled 'A cure for bloat?'.

Offline Adam

• The Mad Chef
  • World Cichlid God
  • Fishy Rating 155
  • Youngtown, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:59:31 AM »
  If he is constipated it will be very effective.

Did you mean "will not"?

Offline Maddy mad man

• Dovii
  • Fishy Rating 1
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:01 AM »
No, right the first time.  Pressure in the abdo cavity might be causing a pseudo obstruction leading to constipation per se.  Remove the pressure and, well, you know the rest.

Offline Alex

• Still learning the hobby
  • Severum
  • Fishy Rating 6
  • The World Is My Oyster, And It Tastes Fantastic!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:40:41 PM »
yh at the beggining of the thread i was thinking there was another thead that could help but it has already been mentioned. - maddy

Alex
Alex